Who Am I? Hi I am Merry
- I have grown up living with a variety of pets, including four wonderful dogs.
- In September 2015 I moved from my family home in Devon to South East London, adopting my Staffordshire Bull Terrier x English Bull Terrier one month later.
- I have been working professionally with dogs since July 2015, most recently as a dog walker. I now offer my services in Crystal Palace, Dulwich and Streatham.
- I currently share my house with many pets; three guinea-pigs, two tortoises, a hamster, an African pygmy hedgehog, a forty-gallon fish tank and of course my dog, Rudolph.
- I always use kind, reward-based training techniques, keeping up-to-date with the latest scientific evidence in the field. I advocate the use of clickers when training dogs as they are a brilliant communication tool between handler and dog, therefore building their trust and confidence. I never use methods or equipment designed to inflict pain, discomfort, fear or intimidation.
- I am constantly keeping up-to-date with research by attending regular seminars, conferences and training courses.
- A Weekend with Kathy Sdao September 2017
- Diploma In Canine Behaviour May 2017 – ISCP
- Certificate In Canine Behaviour June 2017 – International School of Canine Psychology
- Puppy Sensory Socialisation Instructors Course December 2016 – Eryn Martyn-Godfrey
- Nosey Barker Christmas Special with Chirag, Sarah and Jim December 2016 – Nosey Barker
- Puppies – Getting It Right From The Start November 2016 – Linda Ryan
- Learn to Speak Dog & TEAMWORK Seminar July 2016 – Eryn Martyn-Godfrey
- Expanding Your Force Free Training Tool Kit June 2016 – Chirag Patel
- Teamwork Seminar: Building Cooperation with Your Dog On and Off Leash May 2016 – Grisha Stewart
- Dog Agression May 2016 – Chirag Patel
- Learn to Speak Dog: An Introduction to Body Language February 2016 – Eryn Martyn-Godfrey
- Dog First Aid: Emergency Canine Care February 2016 – Dog First Aid
- Learn to Speak Dog: An Introduction to Body Language June 2016 – Eryn Martyn-Godfrey
- I am a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers UK (APDT) and trainer through the Animal Behaviour & Training Council (ABTC)
- I am
fullmember and Certified Canine Behaviourist through INTO dogs
- I am a proud Full Member Dog Training Professional of The Pet Professional Guild – The Association for Force-Free Professionals (Membership No. 41916357)
- I am fully insured; I hold both Public Liability Insurance and Professional Indemnity Insurance, for both my own and for your peace of mind.
- I am a Certified Dog First Aider.
- I am insured as a Pet Sitter and Pet Taxi, which includes Loss of Key cover.
I studied at the University of York from 2011-2014. During this time I volunteered as a dog-walker for the RSPCA York and District Branch. After graduating I moved back home, and it quickly became clear that my true passion was to work with animals, specifically dogs. I began part-time work at my family’s alpaca farm, as well as working as a Kennel Assistant at Barn Close Kennels, a local boarding kennels for cats and dogs.
I moved to Crystal Palace in September 2015, and began working at a Doggy Daycare. During my employment I encountered some issues with my own dog’s behaviour, prompting me to seek the help and advice of Eryn and Believe in Magic Dog Training & Behaviour. This decision inspired me to educate myself further on dog body-language, training and behaviour. As a consequence of learning about force-free training methods, I left the day care after nine months. I then became self-employed and started working with a local dog-walking company, Honor Oak Bark.
As of March 2017 I have been running my own dog-walking business, Dog Days. I offer my services in Crystal Palace, Dulwich, Streatham and the surrounding areas, and my aim is to provide fun, stress-free walks to the dogs under my care. I walk dogs in groups of 3-4 maximum, as well as offering solo walks to reactive, elderly or anxious dogs. I am also a behaviourist and trainer for Believe In Magic and continuously keep up to date with evidence based methods.